I am keeping my Peace


Philippians 4:6-8  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things.

Notice that we are to not worry/be anxious, we are to pray, and then receive peace.  I know it may sound silly but when I memorized this scripture I memorized vs 6-7 alone.  I rarely would get the Bible out to read it because I knew the verses.  I also had memorized vs 8 but somehow never put the two together.  Why?  

I believe that adding verse 8 as a part of the overall thought helps us understand that to maintain this peace that we have to make certain choices with our thoughts.  We cannot go through life thinking of all the bad that has happened or may happen (fear).  We cannot complain and grumble all day long and expect to live in God’s peace.  He will give us the peace but our thought choices (and they really are choices) will determine how long that peace exists within us.  I don't think there is any question that the "peace will guard our hearts and minds" goes hand in hand with meditating on things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of a good report, virtuous and praiseworthy.  Things that are not of Him tend to crowd out the beautiful, peaceful things that are of Him.  We receive peace through Christ Jesus by meditating and mulling over the things that are of Him.  It sounds so simple but I know personally for me this can be a minute by minute, second by second battle.  The amazing thing is the more I exercise doing it, the better I will get at it.  This is probably not a new revelation to you, honestly, I hope it isn't because that would mean you are already doing this :).  Sometimes things just tend to hit me again and feel like it is a new, fresh word for me in this moment.  It was meaningful to me today… I hope it blessed you.

I know this is short and I haven't been on recently.  We have had much going on.  God is working on an area of my life a good bit right now.  I am sure it will translate into a post soon.  

With a Thankful Heart,
Amy


Comments

Popular Posts