A Highly Recommended, Must Read Book

I was listening to Francis Chan the other day while making copies for work.  I didn't have the video showing on my screen but was listening to his words and catching most of it as I was working.  As he was talking he said something like "when I read this book to prepare for today's teaching" and it caught my attention.  I immediately stopped what I was doing and clicked over to see what book he was talking about.

You may not know this about me but I LOVE to read.  It is my absolute favorite thing to do.  I love learning, studying and digging deep.  So, when I heard that Francis Chan had read a book I assumed it was one I definitely needed to read.  One of his books, Crazy Love, is my absolute favorite.  As I brought up the video I was thrilled that I could see what book he read, obviously recommended and that I could buy and read it too.  Do you know what book it was that he held up while talking?  

The Bible.

Of course it was.  Do you know for a second I was disappointed?  You see, I already read the Bible, I wanted ANOTHER book that I could read that would impact my relationship with God and help me grow.  Yep, somehow I thought that there just might be another book out there that would grow my relationship with God more than HIS WORD.

How foolish.

The whole experience gave me a chance to examine my heart and the way I see things, especially things like the Bible and its value in my life.  Maybe it's my familiarity with it that has made it seem less valuable?  There are definitely things I take for granted like my health, water, food and shelter because these are things that I have always had and never had to experience going with out.  Honestly, I don't believe I can recognize their true value until I am without them.  Could be the same with the Word of God?  I think about my brothers and sisters in China that would treasure a Bible of their own and the freedom to read it.

As embarrassing as this post is to write I am thankful to have had the experience and be able to share it.  I pray that God will continually give me a deep love for His Word so I can give it the respect, awe and adoration it deserves.

With a Thankful Heart,
Amy

Comments

Popular Posts